Brandwood is situated on the Southern boundary of the city, adjoining green belt land in Worcestershire. The main arterial road through the ward is the A435 Alcester Road. The Stratford on Avon Canal and Chinn Brook cross the south of the ward. There is no major industry in the area.
Much of the Ward comprises residential areas. 2001 Census of Population: Key Statistics
- According to the 2001 Population Census there were 24,530 people resident in Brandwood.
- The area is 5.9 square km in size, with a population density of 4,167 people per square km, this compares with 3,649 people per square km for Birmingham.
- 21.5% of people were aged under 16, 56.3% were aged between 16 and 59, while 22.2% were aged over 60. The average age was 38.9, compared with 36 years for Birmingham.
- The minority ethnic population made up 12.6% (3,102) of the wards population, compared with 29.6% for Birmingham.
- 62.7% of households were owner occupied and 29.8% were rented from either the local authority, housing association or other registered social landlord. The remaining 7.5% of households rented privately or lived rent free.
- The Census found that 10,992 (64%) of the population aged 16 to 74 were working or seeking work, this compared with 60.4% for Birmingham.