Cllr James MacKay spoke to a packed audience at Brandwood Forum Meeting 10th January 2013. In a nutshell , these are the points which he made in response to questions.
1. Currently only 32% of household waste is recycled
2. 2/3rds could be recycled to sell
3. 25 year contract with Veoilia
4. BCC cannot carry on like this in 10 years time there may not be a service!
5. If we don’t accept the money from Gov. recycling will become every month and collections every two weeks
6. There will be pilot schemes in two wards ( view to roll out in 2 years) –
7. Unsuitable properties will retain bin bags( but 90-95% are suitable)
8. For the elderly & disabled there will be an assisted scheme
9. Collections times will be slower but less workers needed
10. Smaller bins can be requested ( Size not yet know)
11. Wheelie bins are coming!
12. There could be the possibility of see through recycling bags which tie up for unsuitable properties?
13. No strategy as to what will happen to current plastic boxes
As ever please let me know of any suggestions for themes or invitees for meetings – our next meeting is Thursday 8th Feb- 7- 8.30pm
Thanks Karen Osborne , Chair